Monday, October 15, 2007

Still Dangerous After All These Years

If you're reading this, chances are you're already acquainted with the Dangerous Visions anthology that Harlan Ellison edited some 40 years ago now. If not, I would urge you to go pick up a copy, and I would assure you that you'll have a hard time putting it down. I fondly remember a week of my life, over twenty years ago now, spent sitting on the swing on our porch, feeling the summer breeze gently blowing against me, and reading story after wonderful story from that book. It was the best science fiction (or "speculative" fiction) had to offer at the time, and it still hasn't been topped as a collection.

Yeah, Ellison himself can be a cockblocker extraordinaire at times, but he sure knew how to pick 'em. So if you've got yourself a day off, grab a lemonade, find a comfy spot, and allow your mind to wander into some amazing new worlds.

2 comments:

Nik said...

Ah, I love the Ellison. His feisty, conversational essay style was a big influence on my humble works, and while I don't think all his fiction works, when it soars it's fantastic stuff. All that said, I don't think I'd ever actually want to meet the guy in person though.

Troy Hickman said...

As I said, he can be a total bagge le douche, but he knows how to put together a collection of SF. And his own work can be quite good (and occasionally craptastic). I used to love the essays of his that the Comics Journal reprinted.